Pageants and performances usually at Almas Temple in DC. ''Membership includes drag queens, drag kings, male and female impersonators in the Washington, DC metropolitan area who enjoy entertaining and supporting each other. ''
Contact Info :
This record: Created 04/10/2007 - Last updated 11/27/2009
- Mame's Scrapbook: Five Decades of Fabulous: On the occasion of its 50th anniversary, Mame Dennis tells the story of the Academy's founding
- Southeast Memories: Members of the gay and lesbian community gather to share their recollections about the venues of Southeast D.C.
- Temple Bound: The Academy finds a new temporary home
- The Mame Event: Carl Rizzi talks about 32 years as president of The Academy in Washington, coming out gay, and dressing in high drag as Mame Dennis
- The Sweet Smell of Ba'Naka: Named after an alcohol-based breath spray, Ba'Naka is a regular spritzing drag queen about town
- So You Think You're a Drag Queen? Season 2, Episode 2: Seven contestants drop it on the dance floor...and into an Easter basket?
- So You Think You're a Drag Queen? Season 2 Begins: Five new contestants kick off Season 2, Episode 1
- Drag King Christmas: Phase 1 of Dupont offers gifts of drag kings, as groomed by the venue's fairy drag mother Isis Deverreoux
- Marking Transgender Day of Remembrance: Locals prepare traditional memorial event, along with transgender health discussion
- Racing Round Sandy: Hurricane postpones, but can't stop, D.C.'s 26th anniversary High Heel Race
- Bunny Business: A hop along the Lady Bunny trail includes RuPaul, Wigstock, YouTube, even an award-winning stint in porn
- The Attractions of Pride: It's a big weekend in D.C., served up with pride
- Ruby Corado to Open LGBT Latino Resource Center: Local transgender activist establishing ''home'' for LGBT Latinos
- Taking a Drag in Arlington: Freddie's Beach Bar hosts this year's Miss Gay Arlington drag pageant
- A Wish for 2013: The time is now for Obama to sign an executive order on employment discrimination, and for our community to embrace the T in LGBT