In order to become TAG Approved, a hotel must be in compliance with six specific requirements:
- Enforce non-discriminatory policies including "sexual orientation”
- Treat heterosexual and domestic partners equally in personnel policies
- Provides LGBT diversity and sensitivity training for employees
- Empower customers and employees to be "watchdogs" of its gay and lesbian business practices
- Gives back to the community
- Employs staff who reflect the diversity of the community
With a nearly 50-year history, The Madison recently completed a $22 million dollar renovation of the hotel's guest rooms, meeting space, lounge and restaurant. Its location puts it a short walk from D.C.'s major attractions include the White House and Smithsonian museums as well as the popular LGBT-friendly Dupont Circle and Logan Circle neighborhoods.