Winners of the first annual Cruizie Awards were announced this month. The awards, presented by MeetMeOnBoard.com, are designed to recognize the cruise industry in several categories as "bests" for the LGBT cruise traveler.
Mainstream Cruise Line Awards
- Best Large Ship Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Small Ship Cruise Line: Azamara Club Cruises
- Best River Cruise Line: Viking River Cruises
- Best Onboard LGBT Gatherings: Norwegian Cruise Line
- Best Onboard Shows & Entertainment: Royal Caribbean International
- Best Overall Food Experience: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Overall Shipboard Decor: Celebrity Cruises
- Most Comfortable Cabins: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Onboard Gyms: Royal Caribbean International
- Best Onboard Spa Facilities: Celebrity Cruises
All-Gay and Gay Cruise Group Awards
- Best All-Gay Large Cruise: Atlantis Events
- Best All-Gay Small Cruise: Concierge Travel
- Best Gay-Group Cruise Organizer: Aquafest
Port Destination Awards
- Best Embark/Debark Port City: Fort Lauderdale
- Best Caribbean/Mexico Pacific Day Port: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Best European/Mediterranean/Baltic Day Port: Barcelona, Spain
- Best U.S. & Canada Day Port: Key West, Fla.
- Best Australian/New Zealand/Pacific Day Port: Sydney
The awards were voted on by members and friends of MeetMeOnBoard.com, an online resource and forum for gay cruise travelers, during April of 2013.
"Companies who won CRUIZIE Awards are obviously doing the right things to attract our community, make us feel comfortable and welcome, and win our praise," said Mark den Hartog, publisher and CEO MeetMeOnBoard.com, in a statement. "Those who’d like to earn a bigger slice of our community’s business should take note."
With more than 7,600 members, MeetMeOnBoard.com estimates that its members spend approximately $26 million on cruise vacations annually. According to research by Community Marketing Inc, a marketing firm that specializes in LGBT travel, gay travelers cruise far more frequently than heterosexuals.