Metro Weekly has received a media advisory that on Tuesday morning, Mar. 1, "Queer Rising Will Block Traffic in Midtown Manhattan to Demand Marriage Equality."
According to the advisory, "At 8:30am, members of the LGBTQ activist organization Queer Rising will block morning rush-hour traffic in the heart of Midtown! [T]he activists will unfurl a 75-foot banner w[ith] the message: 'NY DEMANDS MARRIAGE EQUALITY NOW!'"
Eight members of the group, ranging in age from 24 to 48, are slated to participate in the action:
- Kevin Beauchamp, 48 year-old, blind gay activist, partnered for 9 years
- Nora Camp, 29 year-old queer activist
- Natasha Dillon, 26 year-old lesbian activist and MBA student
- Frostie Flakes (aka Adam Siciliano), 24 year-old drag queen activist and nightlife performer
- Jake Goodman, 31 year-old queer activist and educator
- Honey LaBronx (aka Ben Strothmann), 31 year-old drag queen activist, actor, & photographer
- Eugene Lovendusky, 25 year-old gay activist, educator and NYCGMC member
- Kitten Withuwip (aka Caldwell) 24 year-old drag queen activist of color and actor/comedienne
According to the group, "This demonstration and act of civil disobedience is in protest to the lack of marriage equality in New York State and to demand the passage immediately."