Metro Weekly

Metro Stabbing Suspect Held Without Bond

Court orders competency exam for man accused of stabbing transgender teen

The man accused of stabbing a transgender teenager on a Metro Green Line train has been held without bond and scheduled for both a preliminary hearing and a mental competency exam at the end of September, according to D.C. Superior Court records. 

Reginald Kaliber, also known as Reginald Anthony Klaiber, is charged with one count of assault with a dangerous weapon for the July 30 attack. He may also face bias enhancements if convicted on the assault charge for allegedly attacking the victim due to her perceived gender identity. 

On Aug. 8, at a preliminary hearing, D.C. Superior Court Judge Lori Parker held Kaliber without bail and ordered him to submit to a full mental competency screening. Kaliber will next appear in court on Sept. 26 for the continuation of his preliminary hearing and for a mental observation hearing, which will utilize information gained from the screening to determine whether Kaliber is competent to stand trial. 

According to charging documents, Kaliber boarded a Green Line train at the West Hyattsville stop and approached the victim, who was accompanied by two friends. According to witnesses, Kaliber accused the victim of being a male, and she tried to ignore him, but he continued harassing her. The victim told Kaliber to get away from her, but, as the train approached the Fort Totten Metro station, Kaliber stood up, pulled out a knife, wrapped her in a bear hug and stabbed her in the back. One of her friends spayed Kaliber with pepper spray, allowing the victim to escape. Police later detained and arrested Kaliber after matching him to a description of the assailant, finding a black folding knife on his person in the course of searching him. 

The victim was transported to Washington MedStar Hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries. Kaliber was taken to Howard University Hospital to receive treatment for any injuries sustained from being being pepper sprayed before being taken to jail. 

John Riley is the local news reporter for Metro Weekly. He can be reached at