Metro Weekly

Community

• Community Partners

As Capital Pride -- now marking its 35th year -- evolves, it has gone from the greenest of grassroots celebrations in a schoolyard to local...

• Committed to Pride

If past years are any indication, organizers of Capital Pride will probably start planning next year's event moments after this year's festival concludes on Sunday,...

• Planning Committee

Capital Pride Board of Directors Michael Lutz, PresidentBernie Delia, Vice-PresidentAnne Scott, TreasurerBrandee MathiesVince MiconeWilliam (Bill) MilesRaymond PanasMary ParadiseVincent SlattLarry StansburyRobert Turner II Staff Dyana Mason,...

• Pages from History

For many LGBT people, an empty store on Connecticut Avenue is an empty spot in the heart. When Lambda Rising Bookstore closed at the beginning...

• Capital Pride Heroes and Engendered Spirit Awards

Capital Pride is pleased to present The 2010 Capital Pride Heroes and Capital Trans Pride Engendered Spirit Award honorees. The 2010 Heroes and Engendered Spirit...

• In Memoriam: Larry Stansbury (1947-2009)

For the past 35 years Capital Pride has been planned and operated by a volunteer corps who have given of themselves for the benefit of...

• In Memoriam: Bill Miles (1957-2010)

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Miles three years ago, when he was chairing the Auctions Committee for Capital Pride. He enthusiastically welcomed any...

• The Wright Path

There've been a lot of firsts this year for Chely Wright, starting with her coming out in May that made her the nation's first openly...

• Day of Dance

Singer Inaya Day remembers the time her uncle -- a pastor -- asked to hear her single ''Nasty Girl.'' ''I was like, 'I don't think...

• Transformational Humor

Ian Harvie is like an open book. The transgender comic doesn't refrain from much when standing in front of a microphone. ''I kind of feel...

• A Chorus of Approval

Rest assured that the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, D.C., will once more grace both the Capital Pride Festival and Parade (and, yes, the confetti...

• Pride's Birthday Bash

If you were celebrating 35 years, wouldn't you want to throw a big party at a swanky hotspot? ''We're looking forward to having all of...

• Pride's Partius Maximus

Ever been to a gay pride party with a simulated volcano? ''That's going to be the DJ booth,'' says Bradley Portnoy. ''The DJ is going...

• Beat Patrol

When Steve Henderson was only 15 years old in North Baltimore County, he started throwing ''illegal'' parties and DJ-ing. ''A friend of mine was a...

• Born to Strum

In the past year, Michelle Raymond has taken up, among other things, softball, rowing, kickball and sailing. And all because of Jim Carrey. Yes, that...