Grand Theft Auto V continues its stratospheric rise to the top of the entertainment charts, with this week’s revelation that the title now holds seven Guiness World Records. On sale for just three weeks, GTA V has already generated more revenue than massive movies such as The Avengers and Avatar — the latter of which currently holds the title for highest grossing film ever at $2.8 billion.
GTA’s numerous records are as follows:
- Best-selling action-adventure game in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours — selling 11.21 million units
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours — managing $816 million
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
On top of that, GTA V is also the fastest-selling game of all time in the U.K. and in three weeks outsold total lifetime sales in the U.K. for its predecessor, GTA IV. Furthermore, it outsold Naughty Dog‘s revered The Last Of Us to become the Playstation 3’s best-selling digital title to date. In three weeks.
Given the recently-launched online component and holiday sales yet to come, GTA V is set to climb higher and higher in the coming months.
Join our e-mail list.