This decadent, no-bake pie is wonderful with summer blueberries, but just as good with flash-frozen berries. I made it this time with a sweet shortbread crust, but a pre-baked pie shell or even a graham cracker crust is just as delicious.
The Shortbread Shell
Gently mix everything together, press into the bottom of your pie or tart pan and bake for 12-15 minutes at 350º F.
1. You can use any type of pre-baked shell for this pie, but I love a simple lemon-scented shortbread you can bake up in minutes.
2. Whip softened cream cheese until fluffy and with the mixer running, slowly add the milk and beat until smooth.
3. Zest 1 lemon and reserve for the glaze. Squeeze and add fresh lemon juice (never the bottled junk) to the mixer and mix.
4. Gently fold in the blueberries and pour into the cooled pie shell. Chill 2-3 hours.
5. For the glaze, mix the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add the water and stir to combine.
6. Crush 1/2 cup of the blueberries with the back of a soup spoon. Add the crushed berries and the lemon zest to the saucepan.
7. Whisk continually over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken and comes to a boil. Cook for 2 more minutes and add the ginger liqueur (if using).
8. Strain the glaze and allow to cool completely on the counter.
9. Top the chilled pie with the remaining berries and then the cooled glaze.
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Email us at Savor@metroweekly.com.
These are challenging times for news organizations. And yet it’s crucial we stay active and provide vital resources and information to both our local readers and the world. So won’t you please take a moment and consider supporting Metro Weekly with a membership? For as little as $5 a month, you can help ensure Metro Weekly magazine and MetroWeekly.com remain free, viable resources as we provide the best, most diverse, culturally-resonant LGBTQ coverage in both the D.C. region and around the world. Memberships come with exclusive perks and discounts, your own personal digital delivery of each week’s magazine (and an archive), access to our Member's Lounge when it launches this fall, and exclusive members-only items like Metro Weekly Membership Mugs and Tote Bags! Check out all our membership levels here and please join us today!