Recipe and photos by Craig Bowman
October 16, 2020
Cheese Soufflé — Photo: Craig Bowman
If you are an aspiring home chef, Jacques Pépin, who has appeared on more than 600 PBS cooking show, is one hell of a teacher. His style is easy-to-follow and practical. This amazing soufflé is his mamam’s recipe. It’s delicious and practically foolproof.
Cheese Soufflé ingredients — Photo: Craig Bowman
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional to butter a 5- to 6-cup gratin dish
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 extra-large eggs (or 6 large ones)
2-1/2 cups grated cheese, preferably Gruyère (about 6 ounces), plus 3 more optional slices for garnish (roughly 2-inch by 3-inch)
3 tablespoons minced chives
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Butter bottom and sides of a 6 cup gratin dish (or 10″ pie pan)
2, Sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese into the dish. Make sure you coat everything.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and mix in well with a whisk. Cook for 10 seconds.
4. Add the cold milk and whisk until mixture comes to a strong boil, about 2 minutes. When thick and smooth, remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper.
5. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl and beat well with a fork. Slice the remaining cheese.
6. Mince the chives.
7. Working quickly, add the eggs, cheese, and chives to the sauce, and mix to combine.
8. Pour into buttered gratin dish and sprinkle surface with remaining parmesan. Arrange 3 slices of cheese in a circle in center.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffy and well-browned on top. It’s best served immediately.
These are challenging times for news organizations. And yet it’s crucial we stay active and provide vital resources and information to both our local readers and the world. So won’t you please take a moment and consider supporting Metro Weekly with a membership? For as little as $5 a month, you can help ensure Metro Weekly magazine and MetroWeekly.com remain free, viable resources as we provide the best, most diverse, culturally-resonant LGBTQ coverage in both the D.C. region and around the world. Memberships come with exclusive perks and discounts, your own personal digital delivery of each week’s magazine (and an archive), access to our Member's Lounge when it launches this fall, and exclusive members-only items like Metro Weekly Membership Mugs and Tote Bags! Check out all our membership levels here and please join us today!
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.