An LGBTQ bar in New York City was the scene of a “despicable and cowardly” act after two rainbow flags outside the bar were set on fire.
The incident took place in the early hours of Saturday morning at Alibi Lounge in Harlem — the only black-owned LGBTQ lounge in NYC, NBC News reports.
The bar’s Pride festivities were in full swing when the fires were set, according to police.
Alexi Minko, who owns the bar, put out the fires by stamping on them, aided by rain in the city which prevented the flames from spreading or injuring anyone.
A rally was held Saturday afternoon to support the bar, and Minko said the bar’s neighbors had “expressed their indignation, their support. The gay community is behind us.”
Minko said the bar’s security cameras captured a man setting fire to the flags and that he believes the suspect used an accelerant to aid the fire, given the rain.
He promised that “bigger, brighter, bolder flags” would replace the burned ones, which were removed by police for evidence.
The original flags — Photo: Alibi Lounge / Twitter
Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) slammed the fires in a statement on Saturday.
“I am disgusted by the burning of a Pride flag outside an LGBTQ bar in Harlem early yesterday morning,” Cuomo said. “This was a despicable and cowardly act made worse by the fact it happened on the eve of Pride month.
Cuomo said there was “no place for hate in New York,” and said those responsible for the “repugnant behavior must be held accountable.”
The governor has directed the State Police Hate Crimes Task Force to “immediately proved the NYPD with any resources needed to assist in an investigation of this incident.”
He added: “Rather than divide New Yorkers, this despicable act will only strengthen our commitment to tolerance, equality and justice for every individual.”
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand added her support for Alibi Lounge in a tweet, saying such acts won’t stop the progress of LGBTQ rights.
“Disgusting acts of bigotry and cowardice cannot, and will not, intimidate our LGBTQ community or roll back decades of progress,” Gillibrand wrote. “In solidarity with you, @lounge_alibi. Keep celebrating #PrideMonth.”
Disgusting acts of bigotry and cowardice cannot, and will not, intimidate our LGBTQ community or roll back decades of progress. In solidarity with you, @lounge_alibi. Keep celebrating #PrideMonth. https://t.co/Y7nID48tLi
— Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (@gillibrandny) June 3, 2019
Former Disney star Geno Segers has left the new Broadway cast of Hadestown, following backlash over social media videos in which he mocked transgender people and dismissed claims that their rights are under attack.
Segers, who previously starred in the Disney XD sitcom Pair of Kings, was set to play Hades, god of the underworld, in the hit musical. According to the Broadway and community theater publication OnStage Blog, Segers had posted several videos to his social media channels with titles including "TRANS FAIRNESS?", "NO MORE TRANS?" and "HE...I MEAN SHE BROKE THE RECORD."
German police shot and killed a 21-year-old man on July 26, a day after he allegedly drove a minivan into a crowd in Berlin's Tiergarten park, crashed into a tree, and attacked several people with a machete.
The crash occurred around 10 p.m. on July 25, just a few hundred yards from Berlin's annual Christopher Street Day celebration, one of Europe's largest Pride events. Police said the victims appeared to include Pride attendees and others who were in the park.
Authorities told Reuters that one person was killed and 29 others were injured, many in the machete attack.
More than three years after members of a neo-Nazi group disrupted a Drag Story Hour event at a café in Concord, New Hampshire, the state's attorney general announced a settlement with the group's leader, Christopher Hood.
Under the terms of the consent decree, Hood, a Massachusetts resident and founder of the Nationalist Social Club-131 (NSC-131), agreed to pay $2,500 and perform 250 hours of community service for violating the state's anti-discrimination law, which explicitly prohibits harassment or discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
These are challenging times for news organizations. And yet it’s crucial we stay active and provide vital resources and information to both our local readers and the world. So won’t you please take a moment and consider supporting Metro Weekly with a membership? For as little as $5 a month, you can help ensure Metro Weekly magazine and MetroWeekly.com remain free, viable resources as we provide the best, most diverse, culturally-resonant LGBTQ coverage in both the D.C. region and around the world. Memberships come with exclusive perks and discounts, your own personal digital delivery of each week’s magazine (and an archive), access to our Member's Lounge when it launches this fall, and exclusive members-only items like Metro Weekly Membership Mugs and Tote Bags! Check out all our membership levels here and please join us today!
You must be logged in to post a comment.