It was the Oscars of the D.C. area’s restaurant industry last night as local food and beverage professionals and their fans gathered at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center for the 32nd Annual RAMMY Awards, presented by the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington. Winners in 20 award categories were announced — honoring a number of established restaurants and individuals as well as many newcomers to the local culinary scene.
Added to this year’s program were seven new award categories, celebrating brunches, service programs, mixology and other definitive aspects of the greater Washington’s restaurant and food service industry.
The selection process for the winners involved two groups, the voting public and a panel of volunteer judges, consisting of food and dining journalists, educators and foodservice industry professionals who remained anonymous to the public as well as each other through the judging process. The voting public decided the winners in four categories: Favorite Gathering Place of the Year, Upscale Brunch, Everyday Casual Brunch and Favorite Fast Bites.
RAMW also presented its Duke Zeibert Capital Achievement Award to former RAMW president Lynne Breaux for her “dedication and leadership that has helped transform Washington’s restaurant scene into today’s vibrant world class industry.”
The winners of the 32nd Annual RAMMY Awards were:
- Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Fiola
- Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year: Ripple
- Everyday Casual Restaurant of the Year: Toki Underground
- New Restaurant of the Year: The Red Hen
- Chef of the Year: Haidar Karoum of Doi Moi, Estadio, Proof
- Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Michael Friedman of The Red Hen
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Caitlin Dysart of 2941 Restaurant
- Wine Program of the Year: Ripple
- Cocktail Program of the Year*: Jack Rose Dining Saloon
- Beer Program of the Year*: Birch and Barley / ChurchKey
- Service Program of the Year*: Blue Duck Tavern
- Restaurateur of the Year: Michael Babin of Neighborhood Restaurant Group
- Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year*: Red Apron Butcher
- Favorite Gathering Place of the Year: Hank’s Oyster Bar – Dupont Circle
- Upscale Casual Brunch*: Mintwood Place
- Everyday Casual Brunch*: Pearl Dive Oyster Palace
- Favorite Fast Bites*: Amsterdam Falafelshop
- Joan Hisaoka Allied Member of the Year: ProFish, Ltd.
- Employee of the Year: Stelios Alexandris of 1789 Restaurant
- Manager of the Year: Boo Young Kim of District Commons
*Denotes a new award for 2014.