Pumpkin Rum Mousse, served with Maple Poundcake — Photo: Craig Bowman
Thanksgiving this year is going to be a little different. If you’re like me, you might be used to entertaining for lots of friends and family. That means days of preparation, baking, and cooking. Not this year. I’ll still make some of our holiday favorites, but I’m not pulling out my Thanksgiving spreadsheet. One of those favorites is my easy maple poundcake (find the recipe here), which is fantastic when served with this pumpkin and rum mousse!
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup dark rum
16 oz can unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the rum in a small heatproof cup. Let soften for a few minutes.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients except for the cream, in a large mixing bowl.
3. Set the cup of gelatin over a pan of gently simmering water and stir the gelatin until it has dissolved.
4. While the gelatin is still hot, whisk it into the pumpkin mixture.
5. Whip the cream to soft peaks and carefully but thoroughly fold it into the pumpkin mixture.
6. Fill eight 6-ounce serving dishes or a large glass bowl. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
These are challenging times for news organizations. And yet it’s crucial we stay active and provide vital resources and information to both our local readers and the world. So won’t you please take a moment and consider supporting Metro Weekly with a membership? For as little as $5 a month, you can help ensure Metro Weekly magazine and MetroWeekly.com remain free, viable resources as we provide the best, most diverse, culturally-resonant LGBTQ coverage in both the D.C. region and around the world. Memberships come with exclusive perks and discounts, your own personal digital delivery of each week’s magazine (and an archive), access to our Member's Lounge when it launches this fall, and exclusive members-only items like Metro Weekly Membership Mugs and Tote Bags! Check out all our membership levels here and please join us today!
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.