Dear President Trump,
As an improbably-formed drag a cappella comedy troupe birthed at the height of the devastating AIDS crisis, The Kinsey Sicks witnessed the right wing’s willingness to ignore and devalue us, rob an entire community of our rights, and use fear as a political weapon.
We see it coming again, and we hope that you can hear us. In fact, in the spirit of the listening that’s been encouraged between the left and the right, we invite you to our next show, Things You Shouldn’t Say, and see how much we do listen, that we actually share your lack of filter, taste, and shame. Unlike you, however, we’ve been using and will continue to use those qualities to transform outrage into our art: ribald humor, wicked satire, and over-the-top drag, all in glorious four-part harmony.
Okay, we admit that you and those who love you will probably not like the show, but we sincerely believe that, as the President of all of us, you should listen to what we and our community have to say. And, if afterwards, you still don’t like it, we encourage you to denounce us on Twitter, as there is no higher honor (and besides, we can use the sales).
Enjoy the show! Just remember: no refunds.
For The Kinsey Sicks
America’s Favorite Dragapella® Beautyshop Quartet
Read more Letters to Trump:
- A. Cornelius Baker, Citizen
- Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute
- Alexa Rodriguez, The Trans-Latina Coalition DMV
- Alicia Garza, Co-creator of the Black Lives Matter network
- André Hereford, Writer
- Ba’Naka, Duchess of Protocol
- Bernie Delia, Capital Pride Alliance, Inc.
- Cathy Renna, LGBTQ Activist
- Chris Allen, DC Log Cabin Republicans
- Clarence J. Fluker, Former Obama Appointee
- Dana Beyer, M.D., Gender Rights Maryland
- Danielle Moodie-Mills, Advocate, Writer and Strategist
- David Mariner, The DC Center
- David von Storch, President, UA Companies
- Emil de Cou, Pacific Northwest Ballet
- Eric Schaeffer, Signature Theatre
- Gil Steinlauf, Adas Israel Congregation
- Holly Goldmann, Capital Trans Pride
- John Guggenmos, Small Business Owner
- Jose Carrasquillo, Freelance Theatre Director and Educator
- June Crenshaw, The Wanda Alston Foundation
- Kate Kendell, National Center for Lesbian Rights
- Mark Pocan, U.S. Representative, Wisconsin
- Mike Daisey, Author and Working Artist
- Mitchell Gold, Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Home Furnishings
- Nicholas F. Benton, The Falls Church News Press
- Rayceen Pendarvis, Emcee, Entertainer, Activist
- Rea Carey, National LGBTQ Task Force
- Schuyler Bailar, First Men’s NCAA D1 Transgender Athlete
- Serge Seiden, Theater Maker
- Sterling Washington, Consultant, Musician
The opinions expressed in these letters are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of their organizations and this magazine, its staff and contributors.